CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Too much weight for such little shoulders.....

So I downloaded a documentary the other day to watch on my Ipod called "Jesus Camp".  I barely read the description of what was to follow, but in my mind I think I thought is was going to be like a real world version of a church camp.  You know follow the kids around, see what they are eating for lunch...exciting stuff like that!:)  Not what I found at all, well for the most part.  This was a documentary on an Evangelical Children's camp in the United States.  It was pretty much crazy, and nothing that I have ever really seen before.  I know like with anything, there are different levels to organizations, and Christians are no different.  This video opened up with a room full of children and their parents, being preached to by a youth minister.  After telling them that Harry Potter is evil, all of the children gathered and begin speaking in tongues.  These kids were crying and just seemed to have no control over what was happening to them.  "You are crusaders for Christ!"  This youth pastor preached about how stopping abortion was up to these seven year olds!  I get that children are our future, but these kids were breaking down at the notion of what they could do to stop abortion....completely!  I guess I don't understand the idea that because the parents of these kids think that as Christian adults they haven't had any success, so now it needs to fall on their children's shoulders.   I know that not all Christians are brought up to worship in this way, and it is a Fundamentalist way of worship...but it kinda freaked me out!  I mean these same kids in the next scene were so normal, and extremely mature for their age!  So humbled and innocent in their love for God.  I really don't know...all in all it was a disappointing documentary, and sadly eye opening!!

1 comments:

AmberDenae said...

Wow! That is crazy. Sadly, I have first handedly witnessed some of that stuff. I agree with you- "Too much weight for such little shoulders." I am all about teaching children to love Jesus and to know him on a personal level in worshiping him, but I definitely think that there is a balance. For such young and innocent ones we must be SO careful in all that we let them in on for their age. I agree that God can move in children and that he has the ability to speak through them as well but you're right- 7 year olds should not even have to know about abortion in my opinion- it's a gruesome thing and for a child it can be so burdensome. I once came across a video on youtube of a four year old "preaching" against abortion and murder of innocent babies and his little face was so distressed as he "quoted" what had been impounded in him as others "amened" and laughed. I was very disturbed by this and the fact that this 4 year old baby knew so much at such an innocent age. It's a sad thing and a lot of time the parents are to blame. Parents are to protect and shelter their children- obviously you can't keep them in a closet and never let them see the world, haha. However, their responsibility is to parent them and let them be children- carefree and innocent.

Now let me capitalize on something. I don't diagree with telling your child that witches and monsters are evil- because obviously they are but I've seen a lot of parents go WAYY too far with this one- not letting their kids watch any disney movies because one had a witch in them. I personally think that is ridiculous.

Crazy stuff. This was a good read.

Hope you're doing well!!

xoxo- amberdenae